[OS X TeX] no SMALL CAPS in page headings?

Hendrik Chaltin hendrik.chaltin at univ.u-3mrs.fr
Sat Dec 18 22:13:14 CET 2004

On 17 Dec 2004, at 14:40, Piet van Oostrum wrote:

> Your question is a bit unclear.

Sorry. What I would like to do is
to use standard mathematical notations
inserted into plain text (written in \textrm, not \textsc)
in my section headings
as well as surnames in \textsc, e.g.

> \section{Subgroups of $\mathfrak{S}_{n}$}
>
> \section{The \textsc{Coxeter} group $\pmb {((}\textsc{l},\textsc{m}  \
>    \pmb{|   \ n,p))}$}

(The \pmb's seem necessary,
otherwise these symbols appear to faint
compared to the plain text in the section heading -
the group's notation appears as
> $((\textsc{l},\textsc{m}   \  | \ n,p))$
outside the section heading.)

Writing
> \usepackage{fancyhdr}
into the preamble yields no error message,
so the package
(apparently your brainchild - thanks a lot!)
is "seen" by TeXShop.
But adding
> \pagestyle{fancy}
yields
> !LATEX ERROR:\MATHFRAK ALLOWED ONLY IN MATH MODE
(thanks a lot, but it IS in math mode)
which probably means
that you cannot get unusual symbols into page headings,
not even with your package.

I had a look at
> fancyhdr.pdf,
and indeed, if I am not mistaken, it gives no example
of an unusual symbol in a page heading.

Finally, concerning \pmb :
\pmb seems to yield the best result.
In particular, replacing pmb by boldsymbol, boldmath or mathbf
yields in each case a slightly different result,
but bm = boldsymbol, at least in the above example.
... and moreover, with
> \section{${\boldsymbol ((} \textsc{l},...
(wrong syntax?)
the first parenthesis is taller than the second (!?!).

On 16 Dec 2004, at 22:52, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Amsart uses small caps by default.

If I try amsart, can I change the \textsc default into \textrm?
If I keep \textsc in the section headings' plain text,
I cannot distinguish surnames as in the above example
(and as in the text outside the section headings).

Thanks,

HC

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>