[OS X TeX] NRC class of documents

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Thu Dec 9 17:23:47 CET 2004

Hi,

The National Research Council of Canada has its own class, available on
CTAN, for submissions to their journals. I want to submit a note to the
Canadian Journal of Zoology and produced my drafts without the NRC
class. I am now ready to get closer to the format they want and I
thought their own class would do it. My first line is:

\documentclass[author,usecmfonts]{nrc1}

the second option is to remove the default, which type1rest:

type1rest
By use of this option, you declare that you have
access to a PostScript printer or other interpreter, and
may use “basic” PostScript fonts to make a rough approximation
to those that will be used in the published
paper. Do not use this option in combination with the
usecmfonts option.
If the author option has been selected, the class will
automatically decide whether to use usecmfonts or
type1rest by default. The automatic selection may
be incorrect, but you may over-ride it by specifying
the type1rest option

I was not certain this would work, and I like the look of my own font
(latin modern) so I took this option:

usecmfonts
By use of this option, you declare that you do
not have the “basic” PostScript fonts to make a rough
approximation to those that will be used in the published
paper: the cm (Computer Modern) fonts that
this option selects are available in any generic/public
domain TEX distribution, so this option will always be
available. Do not use this option in combination with
the type1rest option.
If the author option has been selected, the class will
automatically decide whether to use usecmfonts or
type1rest by default. The automatic selection may
be incorrect, but you may over-ride it by specifying
the usecmfonts option.

However I get these errors. They occur even if I remove the line
"\usepackage{lmodern}" from my document.

--------partial text from console--------------
LaTeX Warning: Unused global option(s):
     [usecmfonts].

(./note_fle^^cc^^81tan_v3.3_NRC.aux)

! LaTeX Error: Font family `OT1+phv' unknown.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.23 \begin{document}

? (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfss/t1phv.fd)

! LaTeX Error: Font family `OT1+phv' unknown.

For now I'll try to get what they want without using their class. But
if someone knows what I'm doing wrong I would be glad to try their
class.

Thanks in advance,

Denis

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>