[OS X TeX] TeXniscope v0.3.3

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Dec 6 17:15:11 CET 2004

On 6 Dec 2004, at 3:27 pm, Massimiliano Gubinelli wrote:

> For those of you who are interested in the problems of integrating TeX
> with OSX I packaged a small source code showing that it is possible to
> render TeX fonts (in the OpenType variant) using standard systems
> calls (i.e. without external libraries like FreeType)

This is, of course, exactly what xdv2pdf (the back-end of XeTeX) does.
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be possible to use .pfb fonts
directly (I'm considering some "indirect" approaches), and if one does
the simplest type of .pfb->.otf conversion with a tool such as
FontForge, it's difficult for an OS X app to determine the default
encoding vector in the original .pfb.

JK

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>