[OS X TeX] parindent in asparaenum

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Sat Dec 4 19:49:13 CET 2004

Thank you all: my little problem is solved (and I even understood
Moore's explanation) but each suggestion raised an "academic" question.

(1) I tried Gerhardt's suggestion. At first, I thought there was a typo
and I wrote
    \hskip{.1in}
instead of
    \hskip .1in
which he had suggested. Of course, he was right: his works, mine
doesn't. But what kind of syntax is that? A quick look at  Companion (2
ed) didn't bring an answer.

(2) I tried Schulz's solution
    \hspace*{3mm}
which of course also works but why is it "a bit more ``LaTeX.''"?

(3) I adopted Moore's solution because by incorporating the line
     \def\indent{\hglue .3cm}%
in the macro I use to set the asparaenum, I will ensure that all my
"occasional" indents will be the same without having to rely on my
failing memory. But why the % at the end? It seems to work without it.

(4) And while I am at it, why does \; create a vspace instead of the
hspace I expected?

Grateful regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>