[OS X TeX] Endnote 8

Eric M. Austin ema at CLEMSON.EDU
Thu Dec 2 04:41:31 CET 2004

>Eric M. Austin wrote:
>
>>Sorry for the mind-reading exercise!   Dragging a  citation from EN
>>to a Word document (saved as rtf) produces a link  {Allik, 1970,
>>Allik1970} in the rtf document.  When done editing the rtf, I choose
>>"RTF Document Scan" in Endnote, point to the rtf file, and it
>>produces a new (renamed) rtf file that has all of the citations
>>sorted properly and formatted in any style defined in Endnote.   You
>>do all the editing on the original rtf file containing just the
>>links.  That way there is no problem when you later edit the document
>>and perhaps insert more citations.
>>
>>THIS feature is the only reason I keep EN around.   One more time
>>after clarification: Does anyone know of a good workaround for this?
>
>OK. As far as I am aware, these temporary citations are not really
>links as such, but that's beside the point. This style of working is
>available (in OS X) with both EndNote and Bookends in most WP apps.
>(I'm assuming that you know how BibTeX works and are aware that
>exactly this style of working is available with a .tex file and e.g.
>BibDesk.)

Yep.  I'm on that.

>I'm still not clear whether you are trying to avoid EndNote and
>continue using Word or whether you are just looking for a general
>solution for managing citations and formatting bibliographies in rtf
>files.

There are certain times I am forced to write and submit in Word, so I
can't get rid of it entirely.   I would like the functionality in my
original post without the cost of updating Endnote yearly.

Thanks for the thoughts.  EMA
Eric M. Austin, Ph.D., P.E.
Assistant Professor
Clemson University