[OS X TeX] Latex for beginning math students

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed Aug 25 05:15:30 CEST 2004

I appreciate, and am duly grateful for, all the decisive pedagogical
advice but, if I described the situation in some detail, it was only to
give some background and to indicate the circumstances surrounding my
request. My request was about LaTeX and I would not have posted on this
list otherwise. Obviously, though, I did not make myself clear.

For the better or for the worse, and whatever the reasons, I would like
the students to be able to show me their current work (of which I gave a
couple of examples earlier) for me to respond in as detailed a manner as
possible (which I can do for the most part with stock messages that,
however, are more than a few words long and painful to write again and
again—which I have been doing so far.) You may also think of it as
useful for the currently fashionable "distance learning".

These students are familiar with email and I would like a medium in
which they can easily present their not very complicated work and that
they could attach to an email. MS Word has to be ruled out as it cannot
be tinkered with and, as is, its mathematics editor is beyond these
students. It was Robertson who, without knowing it, gave me the idea
that maybe a very severely restricted, heavily macro-ed, LaTeX might
provide the medium I long for.

Being completely innocent of programming of any sort, I have no idea if,
for instance, something like what I wrote earlier, " "New" would open a
new file with the preamble already there and with begin document and end
document already there and no way for them to write anywhere other than
inbetween" is at all possible. The idea would be to make it as sure as
possible that it will typeset. Another thing I don't know, among many,
is what Applescript can do.

In short, I wasn't asking those who know LaTeX and/or Applescript or
whatever if what I am dreaming of were desirable but only if something
along such lines were feasible.

Regards
--schremmer

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>