[OS X TeX] New TeXShop macro: "Insert reference"

Thomas Schröder hydrochlorix at gmx.net
Sat Aug 21 20:43:45 CEST 2004

Hi Will,

Am 21.08.2004 um 08:20 schrieb Will Robertson:

> I have a new version based on feedback:

This is so insanely great I can't believe it! I've been waiting for
something like this for quite a while now. Thank you, thank you, thank
you!

Before I got a Mac at work I used a PC with WinEdt installed and found
it awful for the obvious reasons, but was always impressed with how it
kept track of all the references.

I find your approach better than WinEdt's by the way because in WinEdt,
to make use of this feature you must set a main document, whereby only
one project is compilable. So, if you want to compile another document,
you first have to turn off the main document, then compile the new
document and again set the main document. Very akward. Also, in my
experience the gather function often got confused and all of a sudden
all my automatic references were gone and I had to do serveral clicks
until everything was back to normal. Even more akward.

What's also great in your approach is the greater level of flexibility:
for people who have set up some of their own macros for references,
they just have to hack up a new script based on yours and all's well,
while in WinEdt, as I recall, all of the automatic reference handling
was hardcoded and therefor people with their own macros were out of
luck. Or I couldn't figure out, how WinEdt handles non standard command
names for references. Always a possibility :-)

Anyway, this is just another great example why Macs are so much better
at doing stuff :-)

Inspired by this script I was starting to hack up something similar for
bibliographies, but undoubtedly you already have something in the
works, haven't you? If not, I'd gladly help.

So, thanks again, and keep up the good work!

     Ciao, Thomas

     Ciao, Thomas

Thomas Schröder +++ schlumpf at mac.com
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>