Symlinks (was Re: [OS X TeX] Fwd: Unwanted files have which extensions?)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Aug 19 14:19:40 CEST 2004

Le 19 août 04, à 13:16, Claus Gerhardt a écrit :

> According to the manual the ln command only works for files, though
> the name of the target could be the name of a  different directory, in
> which case a link with the name of the original file will be created
> in that directory. It is also possible to issue the command with more
> than two arguments, where the last argument is the name of a
> directory.

I'm getting really lost here, as I've just verified that:

	ln -s ../Figures Test

works, in that it creates, in the current directory, a symlink Test to
the subdirectory Figures from the parent directory, whereas yesterday I
could swear it didn't work (I was getting an error message instead).

BTW, a really OT question: what is the box to check, in the Window
Settings in Terminal.app, such that, when you are writing a command and
the pointer reaches the right border of the window, the pointer is
positioned on the next line to the left, instead of being superposed on
the current line to the left. Namely, how to avoid getting stuff like
this:

esgimc11:~/Desktop/Ébauche 2 (4)/Version 2.0.10 brunovoisin$ ln -s
../Figures Exempl
   ^

where ^ denotes the position of the pointer, and to get instead:

legimc11:~/Desktop/Ébauche 2 (4)/Version 2.0.10 brunovoisin$ ln -s
../Figures Exempl
es
   ^

I remember somebody on this list told once what to do, but I can't
remember the less-than-explicit name of the option to set. And in the
meantime I've done an Archive & Install, so my settings have been lost.
I've tried practically all the checkboxes in Window Settings,
understanding the meaning of very few of them, but none seems to affect
this problem in any way.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>