[OS X TeX] Experiences with TexMaker

Kevin Walzer kevin at wordtechcommunications.com
Mon Apr 26 20:37:50 CEST 2004

I've been giving TexMaker a more in-depth look recently--it's also a
chance for me to improve my LaTex skills, which are at a pretty basic
level. :-)

The program seems to be very buggy. Here are some of the problems I've
run into:

1. On first try, it didn't see everything in my path. It couldn't
launch pdflatex, although
usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/ is in my path. I kept
getting "Could not launch command" dialog boxes. I fixed this problem
by configuring preferences to execute the following commands: which
pdflatex | pdflatex %.tex.  Adding the "which" command seemed to help
it find the right program to execute.

2. Today I'm running into other problems. It won't update/overwrite PDF
output when I run pdflatex. It just seems to be re-executing the log
that's already in the file directory. I know this because when I try
with a new file, it complains "Cannot find log!" The only way I'm able
to generate logs in the first place is either by running pdflatex from
the command line or from TexShop. Go figure.

Maybe I'm interested in the wrong program. I certainly don't have any
interest in recommending/distributing/supporting a product that
requires a lot of hacks just to achieve basic functionality. Too bad,
because it would be nice to have another option on OS X. (Not that
there aren't many already!)

I remember a few other folks on the list trying it out. Are your
experiences similar to mine, or am I doing something wrong?