[OS X TeX] latex2rtf: A developer's perspective

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at wsu.edu
Sat Apr 24 01:56:04 CEST 2004

On 23 Apr, 2004, at 16:56, Jan Eden wrote:

> in my experience, latex2rtf (actual version) does not even recognize
> the German quote marks (\glqq and \grqq), which makes it relatively
> useless for me.

These are part of the babel package, correct?  It isn't likely that all
of babel is supported in latex2rtf.  However, you can edit the file
/usr/local/share/latex2rtf/cfg/direct.cfg as root and add these lines:

# babel German quotes
\glqq,\'e3.
\grqq,\'d2.

The \'e3 corresponds to a left quote (at least from my testing) in rtf;
to do something like this, open the rtf file as plain text using vi or
perhaps BBEdit and look at the rtf sequences.  Read the latex2rtf docs
for more info on direct.cfg.

> If it could convert at least simple text documents with some quotes,
> footnotes and markup like bold, italic... I would give it a second
> try.

Oooh, that sounds like a threat.  At least open source project
developers don't have to be worried about losing marketshare :).  Bold
and italic get converted just fine in my experience (although perhaps
not in TextEdit).  The only way the situation will improve is if people
file detailed bug reports.

--
Adam