[OS X TeX] Word Count possibilities

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Tue Apr 20 02:28:25 CEST 2004

Unfortunately, although WordService is great, it requires simple text
files, as do all the other suggestions.  None of them work on the
finished (i.e., compiled) document, which is, I believe, what Michael
S. Hanson was asking for (and, what I desire as well).

One solution I have come up with is to save the pdf of the compiled
document as plain text from Acrobat, then strip out headers and page
numbers, etc. that Acrobat leaves in for some strange reason, then
highlight and count using WordService.  Not very efficient, but it
works.

Detexing the source file is of no use because one needs the count
*after* the TeX commands, especially bibliographic commands, have been
expanded.  Hence, another possibility is to TeX4ht the document to html
(which works on the dvi and, hence, after all macros have been fully
expanded) and then read *that* result into Word or whatever to get a
word count.  Again, clumsy, but workable.

--
John R. Vokey, PhD
Professor