[OS X TeX] Include a certain PDF Page as Picture or all at once

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 17 14:24:08 CEST 2004

On 16 apr 2004, at 21:24, Herb Schulz wrote:

> On 4/16/04 2:09 PM, "Franz Sommer" <franz.sommer at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Is there an option to select a certain page out of pdf-page stack
>> and/or is
>> there opiton to include the entire stack. So far I've played arround
>> with
>> \includegraphics[scale=0,75]{Kopie.pdf}
>> Thanks for a tip.
>
> Howdy,
>
> There are tools to separate out the individual pages but you will
> still not
> have the right bounding box. You might try to open the Kopie.pdf file
> in
> TeXShop, use the selection tool to select each figure and export that
> (I
> think drag and drop works - make sure you have the preferences set to
> .pdf)
> to the desktop. You can then include each figure separately in the
> document.

along with the pdfpages package (which will allow you to select one
page at a time), you can use a slight detour through ghostscript to
separate the pages into includable graphics with the right bounding
box. This requires that the pages only contain what you want (no page
numbers &c).

1) translate the pages into eps with the right bounding box:

gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=epswrite -sOutputFile=Kopie-%d.eps
Kopie.pdf

(Adding the option -dNOCACHE will use outlines instead of the fonts
themselves, I verified with Elsevier that the resulting eps is fit for
use in articles. Very useful for submitting figures created in
metapost: translate into pdf with mptopdf and translate back to eps
with gs. But I digress).

2) translate back into pdf:

apply epstopdf *.eps

You now have Kopie-1.pdf which contains page 1 of Kopie.pdf with the
tightest bounding box.

Maarten