[OS X TeX] Change default font to Helvetica w/ KOMA

Ralph Pöllath lists at poellath.org
Fri Apr 16 14:32:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm writing a german article using the KOMA-Script packages, and after
changing the default font to Helvetica, I noticed the umlauts are no
longer placed centered above the characters, but seem to be a tick off
to the left. Here's an example:

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{ngerman}
\renewcommand{\familydefault}{phv}
\begin{document}
ä ö ü Ä Ö Ü
\end{document}

I guess that this just isn't the proper way to do this. Unfortunately,
I don't have access to any of the standard LaTeX books, so I'd
appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
-Ralph.