[OS X TeX] XeTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 02:44:24 CEST 2004

Hello Mike,

> On 13/04/2004, at 10:30 AM, mike leonard wrote:
>
> I downloaded this and processed the sample files and it seems really
> impressive. However, I'm not sure how useful it will be to me if I
> can't use my LaTeX packages/knowledge/documents with it. Can anyone
> who knows more tell me if this is indeed possible?

This is indeed possible, but I'm having difficulties with mathematics.

Would you please try the following 3-line file, and report your results:

[glenlivet:] rossmoor% more mtest
\mathchardef\tmp\mathcode`\(
\show\tmp
\bye

Check the result of processing this with:
   tex,  pdftex,  etex,  pdfetex  and  xetex .
(You'll need to hit <return> after it stops
at the \show\tmp line.)

If they are all the same, then that's good!
But I get  xetex  producing the following:

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.3 (Web2C 7.5.2)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode
(./mtest
! Bad mathchar (67108904).
l.1 \mathchardef\tmp\mathcode`\(

?
 > \tmp=\mathchar"0.
l.2 \show\tmp

?
  )

which indicates that \mathcode data hasn't been set
correctly, thereby killing much of the mathematics
support in XeTeX, and also killing some of the methods
used by AMS packages for creating and using math-struts
in the typesetting of not-obviously-math constructions.

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114