[OS X TeX] can't find files in /usr/local/tetex/bin/

Justin Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Apr 9 02:16:09 CEST 2004

On Apr 8, 2004, at 16:52, Doug Marmion wrote:

>>> just two quick notes, in case somebody needs to change things
>>> manually:
>>>
>>> - another way to tell which shell you're in: 'echo $SHELL'
>>
>> This isn't really reliable; for example, if you log in to tcsh, and
>> run bash, $SHELL will be /bin/tcsh.  I don't know what the effect of
>> running a 'bash' shell script from tcsh would be, for example.
>
> I may be missing the point here (I'm still very new to terminal/unix),
> but isn't the easiest way to find out which shell you're in simply to
> go to 'Window Settings...' under the application menu?

Since you are new to this stuff, the discussion has probably outlived
its usefulness.  We're now in the weeds somewhere, trying to nail down
all aspects of "shell identification".

For the simple case of "logging in, running commands...", you are
correct.  The Window Settings menu should be accurate, as is the trick
of querying netinfo mentioned earlier in the thread.

Regards,

Justin

--
/~\ The ASCII           Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-at-Large
\ / Ribbon Campaign