[OS X TeX] Books?

Andreas Gschwendtner andreas_gschwendtner at yahoo.de
Wed Sep 4 10:58:28 CEST 2002

On Dienstag, September 3, 2002, at 05:47  Uhr, Juan Manuel Palacios
wrote:
> 	Just one question to you Andreas, if I may:
>
> On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 11:11  AM, Andreas Gschwendtner
> wrote:
>
>> Lamport's LaTeX Handbook is *very* well written but doesn't cover all
>> the details. It's good for a start: buy that one, if you want to
>> learn the basics of typesetting with LaTeX.
>> If you want to go a little deeper, Kopka's book is excellent. If you
>> intend to use LaTeX a lot and to write more than "10-page-papers",
>> you should definitely read it, as it covers almost all the questions
>> that arise when you use LaTeX heavily. It is great as a reference.
>> The downside is, that it is quite expensive if you buy all three
>> volumes...(but I think it is worth the money!).
>
> 	What three volumes? Everywhere I've looked I've seen Kopka's book as
> a one tome publication. Take Amazon, for example, if you look for
> Latex publications there you'll see Kopka's book as a single volume,
> no more tomes. Where could I check this out? Is the one sold at Amazon
> the first tome?

:-/ hmm... well... I just checked on Amazon.de and Amazon.com -- and I
am not so sure now if we are talking about the same book(s). I have
three books by Helmut Kopka, written in German (I think he is German,
isn't he?):

1. LaTeX I: Einführung (=Introduction)
2. LaTeX II: Ergänzungen. Mit einer Einführung in Metafont. (=Additions
and Introduction to Metafont)
3. LaTeX III: Erweiterungen (=Expansions)

I don't know if these books have been translated to English -- maybe
somebody can clarify? Every volume has several hundred pages and costs
about 40 Euro.

In "english books" on amazon.de I found the following hit when
searching for "latex" and "kopka":

"A Guide to LaTeX: Document Preparation for Beginners and Advanced
Users (3rd Edition)"
by Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daley

So I don't know if I have been of much help here... Maybe we were
talking about different books...
Anyway, I think if you buy a book written by Helmut Kopka, it's not a
bad choice. From my onwn experience, however, I can only recommend
those 3 volumes mentioned above...

Andreas

Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de