[OS X TeX] Mac-emacs and 8-bit chars

André Girard andre at inrs-telecom.uquebec.ca
Thu Sep 19 22:02:31 CEST 2002

Hello

This is not really a TeX question but since Mac-emacs has already been
discussed here, maybe someone can help me.

I am using Mac-emacs v 1.4 on OSX 1.5. I have tried  to use 8-bit
characters but so far without success.

Mac-emacs displays a file that already contains 8-bit codes with the
octal escape sequences, e.g., \'e shows up as \216. If I enter a 8-bit
character from the keyboard, either with the standard Mac dead key
technique or with the TeX backslash method, I get only a blank square.
Finally, the display of the Hello page is rather strange. All 8-bit
characters corresponding to european languages appear as white squares
but the Far East lines are all OK.

I have tried the obvious places for information (info, emacs discussion
groups), so far without success. It looks as if mac-emacs does not have
access to the fonts required for the display but I don't know what fonts
it actually expects and where they are supposed to be.  The list-fontset
function produces

Fontset: -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
Fontset: -etl-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-mac

so it looks like it should work.

Does anybody know how to get it to work or where I could get more
information?

Any help  will be greatly appreciated.

André Girard
INRS-EMT