[OS X TeX] Overfull

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Wed Sep 4 14:46:28 CEST 2002

(Gerben, there's a special point concerning teTeX at the end of this
message.)

Le mercredi, 4 sep 2002, à 12:06 Europe/Paris, Axel E.Retif a écrit :

> On Tuesday, September 3, 2002, at 08:18  AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>>> [snip]
>>
>> To avoid this, type in a password from an "international" part of the
>> keyboard, like the letters "ERTY" which use the same keys in English
>> and French, and probably in most European languages as well.
>
> I didn't think of that, in part  because I don't use special
> characters for my passwords, but also because I'm accustomed to using
> three different physical keyboards (English, Spanish and Spanish ISO)
> and three different logical keyboards layouts (U.S., Spanish and
> Spanish ISO). Here, at home, I'm typing this on a physical Spanish ISO
> but using the U.S. keyboard layout --later I'll shift in order to
> answer my mail in Spanish--, and my Pismo PowerBook has a physical
> English keyboard.

I'm not sure it's only about special characters: the first two
alphabetic keys on an English keyboard are Q and W, for example, and A
and Z on a French keyboard. Put an A in your password, like I did, and
you're stuck. (That's what Apple people told me, at least.)

> [snip]
>
> In short, you can get accustomed to different (logical) keyboards
> layouts. I've reseted the passwords (administrators, root and normal
> users) in the machines at work without a problem, just FOLLOW Apple's
> instructions.

Yes, you can. My first experience at word processing was on a DEC Vax,
using some software called WPS and All in One in later incarnations.
The software expected an English (QWERTY) keyboard, mine was French
(AZERTY). Good memory practice! But then I bought the first Mac I owned
(a beloved SE/30). Not to mention the Macs I had borrowed from friends
before (two floppy disk drives, no hard drive).

> [snip]
>
> Maybe you used the "Archive and Install" option, which has caused
> problems to  (quite) a few people. That is why I did a clean install.

About "Archive and Install": I hadn't used it, I used it later
following a suggestion from Apple Tech Support. It didn't cure
anything, but created additional concern. Your previous system is moved
to "Previous Systems/Previous System 1"; this includes not only all
visible directories Applications, Library, System, Developer, etc., but
also invisible directories like /usr etc. In particular teTeX's
directories are moved inside "Previous Systems/Previous System 1",
where they are invisible. You may then think, by looking only at
/usr/local/, that they are gone; they aren't, and live now in "Previous
Systems/Previous System 1/usr/local/". The same happens with Virex's
/usr/local/vscanx.

That was a matter of concern for me, because of all the customizations
I had done in texmf.local (MathTime and Lucida fonts, Euro fonts,
etc.). At one point I thought I had to redo everything (and of course I
had neglected to backup texmf.local).

Bruno