[OS X TeX] Overfull

Axel E. Retif axretif at att.net.mx
Tue Sep 3 13:59:45 CEST 2002

Dominique:

> The second solution don't match (I have no su password : my seller, who
> installed my computer, don't remember it and I'm afraid to use blindly
> the CD installer !).

You should not be afraid to use the CD to reset your password. It's
really very easy (if you follow Apple's instructions), and sooner or
later you will have to. (And I wonder --how did you install Mr. Wierda's
teTeX distribution if you don't have administrative privileges?)

> Le lundi 2 septembre 2002, à 05:02 , Claus Gerhardt a écrit :
>
>> There are two solutions to your problem, you can either install the
>> newest tetex distribution which contains the correct setting or,
>> secondly, copy the file
>>
>> /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf
>>
>> to a writable directory and change the line hash_extra = 0 to
>>
>> hash_extra = 30000
>>
>> Then, save the file and from the terminal (same directory as where the
>> file is) do
>>
>> sudo cp texmf.cnf /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf

I think the texmf.cnf you have to edit is the one at

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c

which contains the line "hash_extra =  xxxxx" (the previous Wierda's
teTeX distribution for Mac OS X has, in fact, "hash_extra = 30000"; but
in his most recent distribution it is "hash_extra = 50000".

texmf.cnf at /usr/local/teTeX doesn't have the hash_extra line.

I think Mr. Gerhardt's advice to install the newest (Wierda's) teTeX
distribution is by far the best, but then again you will need
administrative privileges.

Axel