[OS X TeX] TeXGSInstaller/10.2 problem

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Sep 2 09:26:01 CEST 2002

On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 11:29 , Richard Seguin wrote:

> ###
> /Applications/teTexInstall/TeXGSInstaller.app/Contents/Resources/installdmg:
>  /usr/bin/basenamename is unavailable. Your system is broken and needs
> a reinstall.

The warning says /usr/bin/basenamename is unavailable. Luckily, only the
*warning* contains this typo. The actual test test if the file
/usr/bin/basename is available. There have been several problems in the
past with Mac OS X 10.1 systems where this file had disappeared (and the
installer needs it).

If you get this warning, you Jaguar system is broken. A file called
/usr/bin/basename should be available and it isn't.

My guess is that there is an installer with authentication out there
trying to remove a file with the statement that should read

	rm `/usr/bin/basename $foo`

but is written as

	rm /usr/bin/basename $foo

with as a result damages your Jaguar system by removing basename.

If you want to help me locate that package, contact me off list ad tell
me what you have installed on your system (all of it).