[OS X TeX] 10.2 permissions/crash

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 10 06:44:43 CEST 2002

I recently wrote:

> I tried running the script in BBEdit, supplied by the plug-in, that
> activates teTex to generate a PDF, directing output to Acrobat. It
> worked once, and subsequent attempts generated an obscure error
> message. That one compile seemed to take roughly twice as long as
> TeXShop on the same document, roughly equivalent to the speed of
> iTeXMac.

Could BBEdit and that plug-in have caused the crash I had last night?
Or was it Omniweb? The system has been running for days now with no
problems whatsoever.

I continued playing with BBEdit, and then switched to my Omniweb
browser. I tried editing some bookmarks, and I discovered that I
couldn't move the bookmarks around. Then I noticed that the Omniweb
icon in my dock had turned dark. I powered down and then powered back
up, only to be greeted by a blank screen with no menu bar, and only
date/time, sound icon, and battery indicator showing. There was no
finder. I repaired permissions with the install disk, and it started
back up, but the date and time were wrong. I corrected the date and
time and then powered down and then powered back up only to be greeted
by the blank screen again. After several iterations of this, I
deinstalled Omniweb and BBEdit from my hard drive, and removed the
Omniweb icon from the dock. Then I repaired permissions again. So far
everything is working correctly except that when I just retrieved mail
I received 300+ duplicates of messages that I had already gotten.

Why would repairing permissions bring the finder back? Why are my
permissions getting corrupted in the first place? Bizarre. At the
moment, I'm crossing my fingers that I won't get another blank screen
in the morning when I power up.

Frustrated,

Richard Séguin