[OS X TeX] Re: Untimely demise of Alpha8

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Fri Sep 13 15:27:41 CEST 2002

At 6:53 PM -0400 9/12/02, Jon Guyer wrote:
>At 10:17 PM +0200 9/12/02, Dominique Dhumieres wrote:
>
>  >The TclAE library is not encoded for macRoman and bug 548 striked again
>  >("tclAE::build::TEXT howdy" doesn't put the curly quotes around howdy).
>
>Hmmm... The TclAE library is pointedly /not/ encoded for macRoman
>because UTF8 is the only way I could /get/ it to put the curly
>quotes around howdy.

It appeared to me for awhile (and this may still be the case) that
the problem was that I had unpacked things and installed them while
in OS X. My guess is that StuffIt Expander on OS X has "helpfully"
reeencoded things along the way. Nonetheless, I cannot reproduce what
you see, Dominique, with the new TclAE 2.0b10 library, but I do see
it with the original TclAE 2.0b8. I know I said it shouldn't be
necessary, but are you sure you've placed the new TclAE.shlb in
:System:Extensions:Tool Command Language:?

>Daniel, who knows vastly more about this whole encoding nonsense
>than I agrees that what I did is wrong, so we'll get a release out
>ASAP.

I'm really out of my depth here, so hopefully Daniel can figure out
how things need to be encoded on all the various platforms.
--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>