[OS X TeX] installing TeX-Fat.dmg

Michael Murray mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Sun Oct 27 08:04:58 CET 2002

>Michael Murray wrote:
>
>>  > Thank you Michael,
>>>
>>>  The icon is now clickable, but when I try to install
>>>  "Unarchiving failed . . ." appears and the following
>>>  is in the message box/es (and so on for TeX foundation
>>>  and TeX programs)
>>>
>>>  gs6.01.pre_install: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or
>>>  directory
>>>  gs6.01.pre_install: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or
>>>  directory
>>>  tar (child): Cannot exec gzip: No such file or
>>

>>If Ted's idea doesn't work the  I don't know what is going on.
>>
>>If in Terminal you  do
>>which basename
>>does it say
>>/usr/bin/basename
>>
>>Or if you do ls /usr/bin is there a basename in the resulting file
>>list ?
>>

>>Have you installed anything else into the unix side of the mac ?
>>Fink by any chance ?
>
>Quite probably he doesn't have the BSD subsystem installed.
>basename, gzip and somewhat over 300 other commands in /usr/bin are
>only installed if you check the "Install BSD system" box during the
>installation of Mac OSX. Apple seems to think that the typical
>mouse-clicking analphabetical Mac user doesn't need these.
>
>--
>Martin

Ah good thought Martin. ( I thought this was a default part of the
install that you could turn off if you wanted to but which would
install if you didn't?  )  Tim do you recall if you installed the
BSD sub system ?

Michael

Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
School of Pure Mathematics         Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt