[OS X TeX] using ghostscript

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Oct 17 21:28:46 CEST 2002

Le jeudi, 17 oct 2002, à 21:10 Europe/Paris, Keith M. Chugg a écrit :

> If I want to view and eps/ps file w/o converting to pdf, what do I
> use?  The Texshop/Tetex install included ghostscript, can that be
> used?   If so, how?  Also, the system associates .eps w/ graphics
> converter, but this program wants an .eps helper - e.g., ghostscript.
> I think ghostscript is in /usr/bin, but I don't know which file in
> there is the "executable" .
>
> Is there a GUI front end for this?  I want to be able to open a .eps,
> check its bounding box, and modify that before converting to .pdf...

Some GUI I am aware of:

- MacGSView at http://www.ghostscript.com/macos/index.htm (the
"official" port, Classic only).

- MacGhostView at http://www.kiffe.com/macghostview.html (Tom Kiffe's
port, Classic version).

- MacGhostViewX at http://www.kiffe.com/tex/carbon.html (Tom Kiffe's
port, OS X version).

As for Graphic Converter, I use it with MacGSView and it does work
well. Not as well, though, as dragging the EPS file onto TeXShop and
having it magically converted to a PDF file that Preview.app can
display and convert to TIFF, JPEG, PICT, PNG etc. But yes, Graphic
Converter can modify the file whereas Preview.app can't.

Bruno Voisin