[OS X TeX] i-Installer & Jaguar (10.2) Trivial Fix

Aaron D. Lewis lewisa at uci.edu
Fri Oct 4 21:25:23 CEST 2002

Hope no one has already posted this - I don't read the list constantly:

I was unable to install TeX Foundation, and TeX Programs with the latest
version of the i-Installer (Sep. '02). It failed with a confusing
error, just like the one below reported on 8/27 by Troy Goodson:

---

rcmd: getaddrinfo: No address associated with nodename
tar (grandchild): Cannot open archive
/Users/tdg/Documents/Files/installers:updaters/i-Installer.app/Contents/Resources/Packages/teTeX-texmf.ii/teTeX-texmf.tar.gz:
Input/output error
tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/Users/tdg/Documents/Files/installers:updaters/i-Installer.app/Contents/Resources/gnutar:
Child returned status 1
/Users/tdg/Documents/Files/installers:updaters/i-Installer.app/Contents/Resources/gnutar:
Error exit delayed from previous errors
Task terminated with status 2

-----

The files are there, and I could tar xzvf them by hand just fine...

Here's the solution - don't rename any of the folders in the path to
i-Installer with unhappy characters.

In my case, I had renamed a folder from 'i-Installer' to 'i-Installer
(tetex/gs)', I believe in Troy's case, the problem is with his
'installer:updaters' folder.

In either case, apparently one of the sub-programs in the install script
can't parse the path properly (I bet it didn't like my "/"), and they
fail...

I renamed my folder to 'i-Installer' and it ran without problems.

cheers,

-Aaron