[OS X TeX] TeXshop --> Alpha

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Sun Oct 20 15:31:20 CEST 2002

At 8:36 PM +1000 10/18/02, Adrian Heathcote wrote:

>No, not that it does not colour it. That the text is not broken into
>paragraphs, but rather has squares that signify where a return would
>have been in the original. And the text does not compile.

As others have said, it sounds like you've got mixed line endings. It
seems likely that Burkhard's suggestion is correct: the file was
first edited with Alpha or something else and saved with Mac line
endings, and that then subsequent edits with TeXshop added in
linefeeds. Alpha gets really confused by mixed line endings (and
usually would give a different error: "The file 'blah' had
inconsistent line terminations. They have been converted to Carriage
Returns. Saving this file may damage it if it contains binary data.")

If you can send me (not the list) the offending file, I'll see if I
can't figure out what's going on.

In general, Alpha's wrapping is not very sophisticated (it doesn't do
true soft wrapping, despite the "Soft" setting), but this should not
perturb TeX. Lines separated by single line breaks are treated as
contiguous text by TeX.

--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>