[OS X TeX] ps2pdf13? (was TeXShop won't open ...)

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Oct 10 15:54:04 CEST 2002

Le jeudi, 10 oct 2002, à 15:41 Europe/Paris, Gary L.Gray a écrit :

>>> Why use 13 instead of 12? Should this also be changed in the TeXShop
>>> settings? If so, is it simply a matter of changing the Distiller
>>> (ghostscript) path to
>>>
>>> /usr/local/bin/ps2pdf13
>>>
>>> or is there more to it than that? Does something also need to be
>>> changed in the TeX + dvips + distiller section?
>>
>> It's related to a problem with misplaced accents (first found on this
>> list in the thread "[OS X TeX] Accent bug with times", and in another
>> thread afterwards), if you use the TeX + GhostScript route instead of
>> pdfTeX. The script ps2pdf calls ps2pdf12 by default, and then you
>> have this reported problem; if you call ps2pdf13 directly, the
>> problem disappears. That's what I observed at least in the reported
>> case.
>
> Aha. Thank you.
>
> Is the solution outlined above the way to make TeXShop call ps2pdf13
> when typesetting using TeX + Ghostscript? Did I miss anything?

I think Gerben told that, if this bug is reported and confirmed by
several people, and if the fix (calling ps2pdf13) is also confirmed and
doesn't create problems with GhostScript 6, the simpler solution would
probably be to modify the scripts (that he wrote) altpdftex and
altpdflatex to call ps2pdf13 instead of ps2pdf12.

 From Gerben's message:

> On Wednesday, Oct 2, 2002, at 23:08 Europe/Amsterdam, Bruno Voisin
> wrote:
>
>> - Not recommended in any case: modify the scripts
>>
>> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin5.5/altpdftex
>> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin5.5/altpdflatex
>>
>> by editing the line
>>
>> distillerprog="ps2pdf"
>>
>> adding -dCompatibility=1.3 maybe.
>
> Or just changing it to ps2pdf13. Not recommended for others, but,
> being the author, I might of course make ps2pdf13 the default for
> altpdftex in the future. Are there disadvantages? E.g. when running
> gs6 on OSX 10.1? I cannot test this myself (Justmoved to 10.2.1 and my
> 10.1 disk is dying, only 1 year old Maxtor *80GB with block/sector
> problems).

Bruno Voisin