[OS X TeX] type1 fonts...

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Mon Oct 21 10:11:21 CEST 2002

Le lundi, 21 oct 2002, à 09:47 Europe/Paris, Masson Thierry a écrit :

> I have discovered that there is a lot of type1 fonts installed with
> teTeX (G. Wierda's installer), and there are some other type1 fonts on
> CTAN (EC for instance). I would like to know if it is possible to see
> them on MacOSX. It is not very usefull to have fonts and not be able
> to see what they represent!

It is (alas!) not possible to use them as standard Mac fonts. You can
display every single character by typesetting:

- in plain TeX: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/plain/base/testfont.tex

- in LaTeX: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/nfssfont.tex

The file testfont.tex is not documented in the TeXbook, but in chapter
5 and appendix H of the METAFONTbook.

> Is there a "table" on the Web where I can find the difference between
> them: it seems that the EC type1 fonts duplicate some "standard"
> ones...

The EC fonts on CTAN in tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/ec/ have been
superseded by the cm-super fonts. As for the hfbright fonts in
tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/hfbright/, they seem to be a PostScript
version of the CM Bright fonts of which I just discovered the
existence. CM Bright are apparently a complete (math + non-math) set of
sans-serif fonts for (La)TeX. I'm very interested by this, I will give
them a try when I have time (not right now).

> By the way, the cm-super package is no more accessible at G. Wierda's
> site...

According to an earlier message from Gerben, the i-Installer package
for cm-super fonts has been temporarily removed from his website due to
disk space restriction.

Bruno Voisin