[OS X TeX] Some Font Questions

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 5 16:48:22 CET 2002

On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 09:27 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> If someone can tell me how Mac OS 9 fonts should be converted
> (automatically) for use with TeX, I can add the procedure to the
> configuration stage of the TeX packages.

You can use the small utility Fondu (written by the pfaedit guy) to
convert from either Mac ttf or dfont to PC ttf.

http://fondu.sourceforge.net/

Then, have a script rename the font files, and run the Bash script
ttf2tex on them.

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/ttf2tex/

For fonts that have included small caps (like Hoefler Text), though,
you need to run ttf2tex in expert mode.  Details in the pdf manual.

To have this totally automatic may be a little tricky, but you could
always just choose the most obvious fonts ahead of time:

Hoefler Text
Gill Sans
Optima
etc.