[OS X TeX] Postscript font problem

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 5 22:38:23 CET 2002

Le 5/11/02 2:22, « nrich123 at mac.com » <nrich123 at mac.com> a écrit :

> Thanks for all the help. I don't mind italic pound signs, so MB's
> solution 1 works for me for now.
>
> On the other hand, I'd like to understand what's going on. If you could
> tell me the right
> document to read to find out
>
> (a) how to specify an encoding

\usepackage[<encoding>]{fontenc}

<encoding> may be OT1, T1, 8r, LY1 etc.

note that

1 - OT1 is the original knuth encoding and is defaultly loaded

2 - more than one encoding  may be loaded, the last is used at begin
document, and you can switch from one to another with
\fontencoding[<encoding>]\selectfont

> (b) what the encodings are and why
> (At least, I think an encoding maps glyph shapes to order number in an
> array, but why are there
> several encodings?)

Of course spécific encodings are needed to typeset foreign languages
(russian, polish...). The T1 encodings contains all glyphs needed for
western european languages. OT1 encoding is there by default and for
historical reasons. OT1 doesn't conntain any diacritic char like éèàü, etc.
You can obtain é (for instance) with OT1, but a word containing é cannot be
hyphenated...

> (c) what a ui version of a font is
> - I installed all the postscript bembo I had: roman, italic, semibold
> and semibolditalic, bold and bolditalic.

How did you install them ? If you made installation with fontinst, it is
posible to have ui (upright-italic), which is not very usefull (best to use
T1 for having a pound symbol), but also expert glyphs and ligatures, as
suggested by Adrian and even, small caps, semi bold, old-style digits...

--
Michel Bovani