[OS X TeX] TeXShop suggestions/questions

Maarten Sneep sneep at nat.vu.nl
Wed Nov 20 10:26:56 CET 2002

On 20-Nov-02 Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
[snip]
>       And lastly, more than a question what I have now is a suggestion
> and it is about syntax coloring. Plenty here have said how they'd prefer
> the $ enclosed math mode to be colored green just the same as the $
> symbol itself. If I am allowed I would like to speak my mind on this
> one. I don't think this would benefit the understanding of the text very
> much because the subsequent coloring of the math commands would be
> completely lost.

That may be true, But since there is no `direction' on the $'s (just by looking
at one, you cannot see if it is a closing one, or a opening one), I'd prefer
some indication as to which side really is in math mode.

[snip]

> I think the $ symbols stick out enough to make the reader realize when math
> mode has been entered and closed.

I disagree, especially in the long example the original poster gave.
Original poster continues with describing a feew option (let the user choose
between the two modes.

I would like to suggest a third mode (although the colours should be settable
in the preferences). Since math mode is applied to a range, one could consider
to make the background of the text that is in math mode to turn light green.
This way the math stands out, you're sure when the math-mode is entered en
closed and you keep the syntax colouring in math mode. Besides, computers are
much better at couning characters than I am.

My EUR 0.02

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep

"Computers are good at following instructions,
 but not at reading your mind."
D. E. Knuth, The TeXbook, Addison-Wesley 1984, 1986, 1996, p. 9