[OS X TeX] Minor upgrade: Releasse Candidate 3b

Nigel King king at dircon.co.uk
Sun Nov 3 12:30:44 CET 2002

Dear Gerben,
I think there is a problem with context fonts on this distribution.

I am running 10.2.1 and I downloaded the Friday images from below onto a
machine partition that previously had not had tetex installed. I installed
into the default locations so that texmf is in
 /usr/local/tetex/share/texmf/

Short test programs appear to run in latex, including when using
 \usepackage{pslatex}

In context however I cannot get the fonts to work properly and it appears to
be because of a problem with "tex root". For instance the command
 texfont --encoding=ec --batch type-tmf.dat
Fails on each command line with the message
     processing aborted : unknown tex root
I used a modified type-tmf.dat with
 --fontroot=/usr/local/tetex/share/texmf/
Added to each line
I also needed to copy ec.enc into the working directory from another
computer, and then the creation of fonts appears to work.

Compilation of a simple context file using cm fonts (ie normal defaults)
without font change is nearly OK, there is a warning however
Warning pdfetex (file
/usr/local/teTex/share/texmf.local/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg):  invalid line
in config file `pdf_minorversion 4'
Which seems to be your addition. Note the capital T in teTex here?

Using the lines
 \setupencoding[default=ec]
 \setupbodyfont[pos]
Causes the message that
Warning: pdfetex (file ec-raw-utmr8a): Font ec-raw-utmr8a at 720 not found
And the font is not incorporated leaving a blank page. The tfm file
/usr/local/tetex/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/urw/times/ec-raw-utmr8a.tfm
Is present on the disc.

It appears that all of these problems stem from the tex root for fonts not
being correct somewhere. Does the capital T have anything to do with it? I
am now at my limit of knowledge!!

TIA. I hope this is clear.

--
Nigel