[OS X TeX] idiot's questions

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri May 10 10:34:20 CEST 2002

> > A lot of these exist already:
> > Go to:  http://www.ctan.org/search/
> > Bembo is there; so are Joanna  and  Sabon .
> > (search in  lowercase )
>
> but before using these fonts, you'd have to have them in your fonts
> folder... right?

They can be anywhere that can be found by  kpathsea  when it
needs them. Normally you would use the t1utils to convert from
 LWFN to .pfb and put the resulting .pfb files into the  texmf/ tree.
e.g. in   ..../texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/bembo/  etc.

(where the  ....  might be  /usr/local/share/teTeX/  or  ~/Library/
 or  /sw/share/local/lib/  or  whatever is appropriate for
 your TeX installation).

> ....  ctan had a variety of files but not the font files
> themselves -- did i interpret those file names correctly?

Of course, these are the support files that allow you to use those
fonts with TeX (pdfTeX, TeXShop, etc.)

You don't get a free lunch of the fonts themselves, as they are
proprietary Adobe fonts (~ $200 each, I'd guess).
(Nick Rich, the original poster, said that he already had them.)

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> :: bob desinger ::

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.