[OS X TeX] opening files with hyperref?

chip brock brock at pa.msu.edu
Tue May 28 01:07:52 CEST 2002

On 5/27/02 7:02 PM, "Ross Moore" <ross at ics.mq.edu.au> wrote:

>> hi
>>
>> I wondered if anyone knows how to do this?
>>
>> Using hyperref, I can nicely open pdf files to windows of a particular size
>> by having prepared the target pdf file by modifying the Open Options of
>> Document Properties and then using \href to link to that modified pdf file.
>> What I would _really_ like to do is use \href (or equivalent) to open an
>> *html* file to a window of a particular size. Of course, I can imbed a
>> changeScreenSize javascript inside the target file and that works fine with
>> \href...
>
> By opening the HTML file, do you mean
> a. open it in (full) Acrobat, using Web Capture;
> or
> b. launch an external browser and show it there ?

yes...Of course I can open an html file, but it remembers the browser window
size and does that. I want to control the size, as I would with a javascript
if calling from a web page.

> Do you wish to, say, open a small window with just one picture,
> or a short form, having none of the navigation and menus of a full window?
> The sort of stuff that happens on some web-sites?
>
>> Both of these methods require me to prepare the target file, pdf or html,
>> beforehand. I'd like to issue a command to open the html file to a specific
>> size from within the LaTeX - like I could if I was defining the link within
>> an html file: there, I would initiate a javascript action attached to the
>> hyperlink to open to a particular window size and to particular attributes
>> (scroll, etc).
>
> With full Acrobat v5.05 (the latest) you can attach javascripts to any object.
> So if you can use this to construct a PDF that does what you want...
>
>> But, is there any way to do the equivalent thing from a command originating
>> in LaTeX through pdf? I think that javascripts can be run within pdfs, but
>> it doesn't seem that this fits here...
>
> ...then it will be an extra step to work out how to generate such a PDF from
> LaTeX source. Donald Story  (http://www.math.uakron.edu/ )  is the expert
> in this kind of thing.

What I would like, but suspect I can't have, is the means to pass to the pdf
enough javascript code to launch the web page of my dreams.

> If others have similar experience, I'd like to hear about it too.
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Ross Moore
>

>> thanks!
>>
>> Raymond Brock  *  Professor of Physics
>>
>> Department of Physics and Astronomy
>> Michigan State University  *  East Lansing, MI  48824

>> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> "help" (no quotes) in the body.

Raymond Brock  *  Professor of Physics
3210 BPS Building
brock at pa.msu.edu

cell..............(517)927-5447
hep office........(517)353-1693/355-9200 #2120
open fax..........(517)355-6661
secure fax........(517)351-0688
Fermilab office...(630)840-2286
CERN Office:......40 5-C31 * 76-71258