[OS X TeX] Including .pdf floats in LaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed May 22 11:54:23 CEST 2002

> Fredrik Wallenberg <fwallenberg at mac.com> writes:
>
> > \begin{figure}[h]
>
>  Are you sure you know what the [h] does?  It does *not* say "I want
> the figure here and nowhere else", it says "if you can't put it here,
> place this figure and the following ones somewhere later and surprise
> me".  If you want an image precisely "here", do not use a floating
> environment such as figure.  As for the caption, see capt-of.sty and
> float.sty.
>
>  Unfortunately, the only decent non-technical introduction to floats
> that I know of is on German:
> ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/info/german/gleitobjekte/gleitobjekte.ps
>
>  A bit more technical, but in English: http://www.cs.uu.nl/~piet/floats/.

Kopka & Daly (A Guide to LaTeX, Addison-Wesley)
devote 10 pages to discussing floats, and all the relevant parameters.
They have quite a few examples.

One useful tip that I learned from there is the ! option.
e.g.

\begin{figure}[!h]

gives you the best chance of having a float at the place that
the {figure} appears within your source code.
This is because the ! says to "ignore some of those rules about
how many floats are allowed on a page, and what percentage of the
page is allowed to be occupied by floats".

So if you are having difficulty getting large figures to be near
those parts of your text which refer to the figures,
then try using ! liberally.
It's a real time-saver.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> --
> Attachment? Nein: http://piology.org/ILOVEYOU-Signature-FAQ.html
> begin  LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.txt.vbs
> Christopher Creutzig, MuPAD group, Tel.: +49-5251-60-5525
> end

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.