[OS X TeX] mathtime & book.cls

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun May 19 19:42:46 CEST 2002

The font utmr8a.pfb is I think a commercial Nimbus font, which is not
included in teTeX, so the bad display of the PDF file is not surprising.
I did a quick search in the directory
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/dvips/config for files calling this font.
There are several, including pdftex.map (read by dvips according to your
log file) which includes the lines:

ptmr8rn NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".82 ExtendFont TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <utmr8a.pfb
ptmro8r NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".167 SlantFont TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <utmr8a.pfb
ptmro8y NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc <utmr8a.pfb
ptmrr8re NimbusRomNo9L-Regu "1.2 ExtendFont TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <utmr8a.pfb
rptmro NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".167 SlantFont StandardEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<8a.enc <utmr8a.pfb
rptmrre NimbusRomNo9L-Regu "1.2 ExtendFont StandardEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <8a.enc <utmr8a.pfb
rptmrrn NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".82 ExtendFont StandardEncoding
ReEncodeFont" <8a.enc <utmr8a.pfb
tio NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <utmr8a.pfb

I think the problem comes from tio (normally oblique - or slanted -
Times). In pdftex.map you have for the LY1 Times metrics the lines:

tib Times-Bold "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
tibi Times-BoldItalic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
tibo NimbusRomNo9L-Medi ".167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <utmb8a.pfb
tii Times-Italic "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc
tio NimbusRomNo9L-Regu ".167 SlantFont TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont"
<texnansi.enc <utmr8a.pfb
tir Times-Roman "TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont" <texnansi.enc

This means that for italic, bold or normal characters the Times fonts
are called, but for slanted characters the font NimbusRomNo9L-Regu (?=
utmr8a.pfb) is called instead. So I think your problem is caused by the
table of contents using slanted character shapes.

The file pdftex.map claims to be created by a script updmap in
$TEXMFMAIN/dvips/config. So could these lines, calling for utmr8a.pfb in
pdftex.map, be created by some problem during installation of teTeX
(Gerben, are you listening?).

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.