[OS X TeX] feynmann

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri May 3 17:19:17 CEST 2002

> I would like to use one of the feynmann diagram packages - feynmf for
> example.
>
> This package is not part  of  the teTex distribution (apparently).  If I
> were to get the package,  where is the best place to put it?

On a Unix system, the correct place is something like:

/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/feynmf/feynmf.sty
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This initial part may be different on your system.

However, the Feynman-MF package uses bitmapped fonts:

landau.ics.mq.edu.au> grep font `kpsewhich feynmf.sty`
  LaTeX/Metafont Feynman Diagram Package (\filemaintainer)]
    Pre v1.03 compatibility can clash with font loading}
    \global\expandafter\font%
  \ifx\f at ynmf\nullfont

The .tfm and .mf files go into corresponding directories, as follows:

/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/source/public/feynmf/feynmf.mf
/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/feynmf/feynmf.tfm

Your system should be setup to generate .pk fonts as needed,
placing them in a place where they can be found easily.

However...

Typically bitmapped fonts are not reproduced well in Acrobat (Reader).
This has been a sore point for quite some time; Adobe has been informed
of the importance of proper support for PostScript Type 3 fonts
--- the bitmaps produced by Metafont are transformed to Type 3 by dvips .

If there was a Type 1 (or TTF) version of the Feynman fonts, then that
would be preferable. Unfortunately, there is not one that I know of.

> Has anyone used this under OSX (and TexShop) and can they send me some
> useful hints to  make it  work?

Sorry this is perhaps more negative than positive.

Best of luck

	Ross Moore

> Donal Day
>
> --
> Donal Day
> University of Virginia
> Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics
> 382 McCormick Road
> PO BOx 400714
> Charlottesville, VA 22904-4714
> 434 924 6566 (Voice)