[OS X TeX] Illustrator 10.0.1 for Mac OS X .eps

get86 at mac.com get86 at mac.com
Fri May 24 02:52:39 CEST 2002

on 5/23/02 7:53 PM, Ross Moore, typed:
>> Obviously, we are not talking about including pdfs here, only eps files
>> -from Illustrator.
>
> Ahem. If you look at the text of the .eps file, you will see that it
> *is* essentially PDF, in uncompressed form.
> OK, not totally PDF yet, but you can expect it to be in future versions
> of Illustrator. There will be a PostScript header as well; but the bulk
> of the drawing commands are organised to be PDF. Also, there are comment
> sections with XML tagging, such as the PrivateData you mentioned above.

Question: considering that Illustrator eps is "essentially" a pdf, then why
would anyone wish to save eps from Illustrator to include in their article
or document?

My 'newbie' and limited understanding is that print houses want source, not
pdf, is that a reason?  And for local laser printing is pdf not just as
good/acceptable as eps? (I am aware of the web usage and encryption(?)
abilities of pdf, those are not at issue.)  Further, I was told by the
gentleman with the problem (that I was helping) that saving it as pdf was
not producing at least one of the symbols in his file? eps does produce it.

Ted

"help" (no quotes) in the body.