[OS X TeX] How do I instal Mathtime fonts?

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Tue Mar 12 13:24:53 CET 2002

 > I just tried to typeset a document in MathTime without success (math
 > symbols are mapped incorrectly, or not at all, on the screen). My
 > preamble was:
 >
 > \documentclass[12pt]{book}
 > \usepackage{times}
 > \usepackage[mtbold]{mathtime}

Did you try any of these two:

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

Normally you shouldn't have anything to install, all support files are
there in teTeX already, and for me it does work:

- mathtime metrics in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/yandy/mathtime and
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/yandy/mathplus

- times metrics in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/adobe/times
(T1 encoding) or /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/yandy/times (LY1
encoding)

-LaTeX packages in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss (for
times) and /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/mathtime (for mathtime)

- documentation of the mathtime package in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/latex/mathtime (BTW, I couldn't find
that - psnfss2e.pdf on CTAN - for times)

Some comments:

- The documentation for PSNFSS says to no longer use the times package.
It still use it myself.

- For several PS fonts (e.g. Adobe, Lucida) you have the choice to
either use LY1 metrics (from Y&Y, I believe) or T1 metrics (produced by
fontinst). I personally prefer LY1, as I find that T1 metrics results in
far too many hyphenations and bad line breaks.

 > The motivation for using MathTime is simple: There are thousands of
 > fonts available for ordinary text use, but the number seems to be
 > limited to 4(?) for those (like me) writing mathematics in LaTeX:
 >
 > 1) Computer Modern
 > 2) MathTime + MathTime Plus
 > 3) Lucida New Math + Lucida Bright Expert
 > 4) Euler
 >
 > My personal favorite is the MathTime family because it produces highly
 > legible documents (both on screen and paper), and has a somewhat richer
 > font set than Computer Modern.
 > Speaking about TeX-fonts, however, there is one question coming over and
 > over. How do I install e.g. the MathTime fonts? I have read the "teTeX
 > Manual" by Thomas Esser and I have (tried) to read "The LaTeX Companion"
 > by Goossens et al. but without getting close to an understanding of the
 > font matter. I would greatly appreciate any help from this forum to get
 > started on the "font selection marathon". I have a little experience
 > with command line utilities and know programming in general, but don't
 > expect technical knowledge-in-depth from my side!

There are very many metrics available for PS fonts. Just look at
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm. I am a Lucida addict myself! And
there are also corresponding LaTeX packages, either in teTeX or on CTAN.

The LaTeX Companion is largely outdated. I think you would be happier
with chapter 10 of The LaTeX Graphics Companion ("Using PostScript
fonts"). And there is still, if you feel like doing the work yourself,
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/doc/latex/base/fntguide.dvi

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.