[OS X TeX] Fonts in Slides

Hemant Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Thu Mar 14 15:48:03 CET 2002

Hi -

I don't know much about fonts and such, and would like to get some
advice: am I doing an ok thing, or something terribly wrong (or is there
a better alternative that can be implemented easily?).

I want to prepare slides (for display in PDF), I use the seminar class :

\documentclass[slidesonly]{seminar}

I want to get sans-serif fonts :

\renewcommand{\familydefault}{cmss}
(This is probably straight out of Goosen's book)

And, I found that the equations in my slides were not projecting very
well, so I wanted to get bold face math fonts (without having to say bf
in every equation) :

\DeclareSymbolFont{operators}{OT1}{cmr}{b}{n}
\DeclareSymbolFont{letters}{OML}{cmm}{b}{n}
\DeclareSymbolFont{symbols}{OMS}{cmsy}{b}{n}
\DeclareSymbolFont{largesymbols}{OMX}{cmex}{b}{n}
(I found some code somewhere on the Web, and adapted it to get what I
want. The second line, I think, takes the cmm fonts and makes them bold
face.)

I'm quite happy with the results now. But do others have any advice on
this? Is there a good reference to understand the above?

- Hemant

"help" (no quotes) in the body.