[OS X TeX] Different TeX platforms

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Fri Mar 15 02:05:21 CET 2002

Andy

The different versions/revisions of pdftex don't seem to have introduced
any problems in at least one direction, i.e. opening up legacy pdf's.
Nor have there been any problems reported to this list about
collaborating with others using the (very) slightly older versions.

And in general there has never been a better time to enter the world of
OSX. TeXShop 1.17 is very stable and GW is tireless in keeping us up to
date with TeXLive-teTeX. Just what a thesis writer needs!

cheers

Adrian Heathcote

On Friday, March 15, 2002, at 11:02 AM, Andy Doller wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>>> If you're concerned 'bout staying up-to-date with pdftex on any
>>> platform, you should subscribe to the pdftex mailing list.
>>
>> No, no, no. If you're concerned 'bout staying up-to-date with (pdf)TeX
>> you should change to Mac OS X ;-) ;-) ;-)
>
> Upon reading as much as I could of the PDFtex archives, I have found
> much much confusion about the pre-test releases of pdftex of (version
> 1.00a and 1.00b) since August 2001 across the various platforms.  I
> would like to thank the folks that make the .dmg files of TeXShop and
> TeTeX for keeping this confusion from the rest of us, continually
> providing a great product especially since it is 'bleeding edge,' all
> with the drag and drop simplicity of OSX.
>
> Only my last question seem to apply here now.  With all of these
> different versions of pdftex floating around, how can one claim device
> independence, when code my code may or may not work on other default
> installations. Also, it is alot of work to keep software at the
> bleeding-edge level and you risk discovering bugs when you need a
> publication out the door. I see that the success/ease of use/etc. of
> pdftex on OSX could cause its own schism between itself in the rest of
> the tex'ing community.  I am having a difficult time convincing others
> (especially on windows machines) to switch to pdftex due its lack of
> progress that is available to them by default? I just abandoned Texsis
> because of the small community and waining support and from my
> experience it is best to have a local community that all run the same
> environment. Can someone convince me that I am not jumping from the
> frying pan into the fire before I get to deep into writing my thesis?
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Doller

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.