[OS X TeX] Fink and LaTeX2HTML question

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Mar 3 22:25:34 CET 2002

> At 07:31 +1100 on 04/03/02, Ross Moore wrote:
>
> >>  to that. That takes a really very long time to install.
> >>  Probably people with real knowledge of Unix and OS X can provide
> >>more details.
> >
> >There is no dependency within LaTeX2HTML itself on having X software
> >installed.
> >
> >If fink requires it, then this probably arises because LaTeX2HTML
> >requires having a TeX installation, and traditionally this has
> >included  xdvi  or  xdvik  --- but these are not needed with
> >pdfTeX on MacOS X.
> >
> >So you should be able to exclude all the XFree stuff, if you don't
> >want it.
> >
> >fink needs to fix up its dependencies, would be my guess.
>
> >At 07:31 +1100 04/03/02, Ross Moore wrote:
> >Hope this helps,
> >
> >	Ross Moore
>
> I tried to leave out the xfree86 packages, but without them Fink did
> not complete the install.
> Of course, you may be perfectly right that latex2html doesn't
> actually need it, but I could not find a way around it.
> So your guess is probably right: a glitch in the Fink dependencies.
> (And a curious one: if its smart enough to work with an existing
> teTeX installation, why would it still insist on xdvi or something
> like that?)

More likely it is through Ghostscript.
Under Unix, LaTeX2HTML calls  gs  which can be an X application.
However, it calls it as a filter, so that X isn't actually used.

Since you already have  Ghostscript  for MacOS X
(it was probably installed along with TeXShop) then my next guess
is that  fink  needs to be told that LaTeX2HTML will use that.
This may be enough to resolve the problem.

Alternatively, since I don't know fink at all, but know LaTeX2HTML
intimately, can you tell  fink to ignore the dependency on  gs ?
If that works, we can adjust the installation afterwards to recover.

I know others have succeeded with LaTeX2HTML on MacOS X,
but do not know whether they used fink; also they probably
did persevere with XFree86, being long-time TeX users.

Cheers,

	Ross

> Martin Stokhof

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.