[OS X TeX] GS 6 and 7 and Apple Bug

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Fri Mar 29 00:04:17 CET 2002

Folks,

On Thursday, March 28, 2002, at 12:33  PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

Is there a work-around for this or should we stick with GS 6? What can
we do
to get Apple to fix this? I know it is possible to submit bug reports,
but
it would be nice to know exactly what to tell them.

	Gary

-------------

There is a bug in Apple's NSPDFImageRep class. Because of
the bug, pdf files created by converting a postscript file to pdf with
ghostscript 7 will be displayed with most characters missing. The
problem does not occur if the conversion is done with ghostscript 6.
Both versions of ghostscript create pdf files which display correctly
in Adobe Acrobat, so the problem is rather in Apple's class.
This class is used by the Finder, Preview, Mail, TeXShop,
and other programs.

TeXShop users who typeset with the latex + ghostscript
option must install ghostscript 6 rather than ghostscript 7 because of
the bug.

Another aspect of the bug can be seen by downloading pdf preprints
>from the preprint archive http://xxx.lanl.gov/. These files display
incorrectly
in Preview, but correctly in Acrobat.

Apple was notified of this bug last July and again last October. I
just wrote them again. Bug reports from other users will be
helpful.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu