[OS X TeX] Newbie install and font question

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Tue Mar 19 00:54:41 CET 2002

> I am thinking of installing teTeX and TeXShop.  Is this all I will need
> get a workable installation?  If I understand correctly, teTeX is an OSX
> implementation of TeX and TeXShop is a viewer/creator of documents?

teTeX is a unix implementation of web2c by Thomas Esser, not just Mac OS
X. In case you use my installer, you get (up to date) TeX Live for the
programs and teTeX for the foundation (macros, fonts, etc) plus some
additions of my own.

> I believe that teTeX is installed first including the GhostScript
> package.
> GS will install fonts.

Actually, you do not need GS to use TeX. You only need GS if you have
older documents that require PostScript tricks or .eps image inclusion.
Here Mac OS X differes from most other Unixes as well as older Mac OS 9
implementation, because most of those need/use some sort of PostScript
(GS) system. The default on Mac OS X is pdfTeX, which produces PDF
directly and not via DVI+PS. PDF is as you probably know the display
format of Mac OS X. If you are new to TeX, keep to pdfTeX.

Secondly, both TeX and GS come with their own type 1 fonts. The way TeX
handles it, all fonts are included before GS is used (if it is used).
TeX has far more fonts than what it has available in type1 format. These
are included as bitmaps at the resolution of your choice. The GS fonts
are not available to TeX. There is a way to get them available the other
way around (and I'll add that later on) but GS in itself is not
extremely useful on Mac OS X.

> Where does GS/teTeX install those fonts?

TeX: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/...
GS: /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts/...

>  Do these installed fonts end up in
> the font menus of other OSX software?  i.e. MS Word

No.

"help" (no quotes) in the body.