[OS X TeX] Proposal on Fonts (was Re: Fonts &c.)

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at mac.com
Fri Mar 29 02:02:00 CET 2002

On Thursday, March 28, 2002, at 10:31  AM, mark wrote:

> Been quietly following this thread. Interesting.
>
> Could we maybe get on to Apple about some of these font issues.
> I'd like to use some of the pre-installed OS X fonts in my TeX
> work (e.g. Optima and Gill Sans). Maybe Apple's licensing of the
> fonts means that they could also supply the fonts in the forms we
> need for TeX work. Anybody know ?
>
> mark.

I've been talking with William and Gerben off-list about an idea I had.

Why not use Gerben's new installer to kill two font-related birds with
one stone?

1)  make the advanced OS X fonts (Hoefler, Zapfino, etc.) available for
use in TeX

and

2)  allow for easy installation of other fonts (like the Adobe Type 1
fonts, for which there are packages floating around, but for which even
this is an intimidating installation process for many...like me!)

It seems this is feasible, though Gerben indicated he'd need someone
thoroughly familiar with fonts to write the scripts necessary.  Anyone
interested?

Bruce

"help" (no quotes) in the body.