[OS X TeX] epstopdf (2.8draft)

Dr. Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Mon Mar 25 02:09:27 CET 2002

  In order to get around the MediaBox bug of Illustrator X (it sets the
image size to A4 as opposed to the artwork), I have been saving my
artwork as a eps file from Illustrator and then using epstopdf (teTeX
flavor - version 2.8draft).  This works (sort of).  I find I can open
the files in Acrobat and display them correctly.  When I attempt to read
the files back into Illustrator again, however, all of the line widths
are increase by a factor of 10 (e.g. 1.5 point width becomes 15 point).
This makes for some interesting variations in my original artwork, but
is not particularly useful for the presentation I had in mind (I still
don't want to use powerpoint -- it has its own problems).  Any ideas of
workarounds for this issue -- a new version perhaps?  Also does anyone
know to whom this bug should be reported?  I doubt it is Adobe's
problem -- pdf files saved by Illustrator can be modified and saved and
Acrobat and reimported without problem.  All I really want to do is to
work around the MediaBox problem in a simple manner, if possible,
preserving the ability to further edit the files in Illustrator.  Any
suggestions?

Dr. Paul Fons
Senior Research Scientist
National Institute for Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
Optoelectronics Institute
Energy Electronics Institute
Umezono 1-1-1
Tsukuba, Ibaraki