[OS X TeX] accented chars in mac-emacs

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Thu Jun 13 17:21:49 CEST 2002

MB> Who knows a way to obtain accented chars (latin1 or mac encoding) in
MB> mac-emacs ?
>>
>> Which version of emacs?

MB> I use emacs 21.2 (modified by enrico franconi, and called mac-emacs).

>> In Carbon emacs 21.2 I can use the normal input
>> method (with ALT).

>> Sometimes I use iso-transl.el.

MB> Should you give me short examples of theses two methods (sorry, I am new to
MB> emacs...).

The `normal' way is the way you can use the keyboard in all Mac
applications. I don't know if the exact keys depend on the language, I
have an International English keyboard. You can find out about the keys by
running the /Applications/Utilities/Key Caps application.

For example to enter the character á you first press ALT+e which selects
the accent, followed by a. Other accents are ¨ (ALT+u), ` (ALT+`), ^
(ALT+i). Some special characters are even simpler like å (ALT+a).

On the other hand iso-transl can be used by putting (require iso-transl)
in your .emacs file. You can the use C-x 8 ' a to get á and similer for
most latin-1 characters.
And emacs has many more input modes which you can select with C-x RET C-\
(set-input-method). See the emacs manual.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl

"help" (no quotes) in the body.