[OS X TeX] installing t1-fonts

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Thu Jun 27 09:17:45 CEST 2002

Le jeudi 27 juin 2002, à 08:44 , mahakk a écrit :

> now, i downloaded some fonts from ctan's ftp-server and placed all the
> files in a mirror of the texmf-tree in my home directory. it now looks
> like this:
>
> 	~/library/texmf/fonts/cm-super/*.pfb
> 	~/library/texmf/dvips/cm-super/*.map, *.enc, others

Two quick remarks:

- This directory hierarchy (though I think it's advocated in the README
coming with cm-super) does not work, try instead:

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/public/cm-super/*.pfb
~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/*.map, *.enc, config.cm-super

(There's also something for dvipdfm, but I've never used it.)

- You need to modify config.ps for dvips, and pdftex.cfg for pdftex.
That is, you need to make copies of them (from texmf.local) and add to
config.ps the lines:

p +cm-super-t1.map
p +cm-super-ts1.map
p +cm-super-t2a.map
p +cm-super-t2b.map
p +cm-super-t2c.map
p +cm-super-x2.map

and to pdftex.cfg the lines:

map +cm-super-t1.map
map +cm-super-ts1.map
map +cm-super-t2a.map
map +cm-super-t2b.map
map +cm-super-t2c.map
map +cm-super-x2.map

In my case I put the modified copies in:

~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps
~/Library/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg

I seem to remember Gerben saying there's something wrong with this
approach (for example having to keep track of modifications to the files
in the texmf.local directory for every new teTeX release), but I
couldn't remember what should be done instead (maybe modifying directly
the files in temf.local).

This can also be done maybe in a more automated way using updmap, but I
don't know how.

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.