[OS X TeX] Scripting

Adrian Heathcote adrian.heathcote at philosophy.usyd.edu.au
Sun Jun 30 10:07:12 CEST 2002

Thanks Ross, Jerome, Bruce and Joshua for the responses.

I've had a look at the Word macro facility and I can't see a
straightforward way to use it for this purpose---and perhaps going the
way of the HTML translator is the only way to do it directly. But I've
got myself a book on Perl and will see what I can come up with. I'll
also download the rtf2latex2e---when CTAN is fixed (a few days ago some
changes prevented all downloading).

cheers

A.H.

> If you decide not to go the rtf2latex route, consider saving the Word
> document as a Web Page and then using something like Perl to parse the
> resulting .html file. The latest versions of Word for both Mac and
> Windows have been designed to use .doc and .html files somewhat
> interchangeably. This is from the Word v.X online help:
>

>> Save entire file into HTML   This option saves all of the document's
>> properties into the HTML file. Use this option if you have Word
>> specific elements in your document, such as comments, header or footer
>> information, or document properties that you want to maintain but
>> won't appear when the document is viewed in a Web browser. When you
>> select this option, Word retains all of the special elements and
>> attributes contained in the file.
>
> In other words, if you save the Word file as an .html file and make
> sure that you "save entire file", then all your Word attributes will be
> embedded in the .html file (through what appears to be a lot of
> complex-looking XML).
>
> From this point, you'll need to figure out what types of tags you want
> to look for and devise a script to convert them to LaTeX. Not the
> simplest task, but by no means impossible.
>
> Good luck,
> -Joshua
>

> On Saturday, June 29, 2002, at 12:38  AM, Adrian Heathcote wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> I want to write a script which will take a Word file and convert some
>> of the most common character formatting in that file and replace it
>> with latex commands. So, for example if a string of characters is
>> italisized in word the script will replace it with that string
>> surrounded by \textit{}. And so on for some other bits of formatting
>> that will not convert with find/replace in Word.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions, for a scripting novice, of which
>> scripting language would best accomplish this? Should I learn Perl,
>> Applescript or what?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Adrian Heathcote

>> "help" (no quotes) in the body.