[OS X TeX] accented chars in mac-emacs

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Mon Jun 10 22:06:12 CEST 2002

Le lundi 10 juin 2002, à 09:41 , Michel Bovani a écrit :

> Who knows a way to obtain accented chars (latin1 or mac encoding) in
> mac-emacs ?

In case that helps: four years ago, at a time I was working in a
Linux-only environment, here is what a computer officer told me:

> To enter accented character more easily on emacs, turn on
> iso-accents-mode for
> that buffer.
>
> e.g. M-x iso-accents-mode to turn it on.  The built in help says:
>
> iso-accents-mode: an interactive compiled Lisp function in `iso-acc'.
> (iso-accents-mode &optional ARG)
>
> Toggle ISO Accents mode, in which accents modify the following letter.
> This permits easy insertion of accented characters according to
> ISO-8859-1.
> When Iso-accents mode is enabled, accent character keys
> (`, ', ", ^, / and ~) do not self-insert; instead, they modify the
> following
> letter key so that it inserts an ISO accented letter.
>
> You can customize ISO Accents mode to a particular language
> with the command `iso-accents-customize'.
>
> Special combinations: ~c gives a c with cedilla,
> ~d gives an Icelandic eth (d with dash).
> ~t gives an Icelandic thorn.
> "s gives German sharp s.
> /a gives a with ring.
> /e gives an a-e ligature.
> ~< and ~> give guillemots.
> ~! gives an inverted exclamation mark.
> ~? gives an inverted question mark.
>
> With an argument, a positive argument enables ISO Accents mode,
> and a negative argument disables it.

By the way, I have a related off-topic question: does anybody know how
to input accented characters in Terminal.app? I use folders with names
containing accents, but dragging them onto the Terminal window copies
the names without the accents (like "é" which is transformed to "e").
Then, for example, afterwards epstopdf complains it cannot finds the
folder.

And more: in France we use to write dates with slashes, like 10/06/2002
for June 10, 2002. Thus, the letters I wrote today are in files with
names LEGI-10/06/2002.tex etc. Of course UNIX doesn't like this. Mac OS
X does its best to cope with this, converting internally (or so it
seems) / to : and : to /. However command-line utilities are more
disconcerted, and I have the impression that some of teTeX's binaries
are happy with this and some aren't. Is there a way to circumvent this
(apart from the obvious "never use slashes in file/folder names ever")?

Bruno Voisin

"help" (no quotes) in the body.